Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Hair Cut Gone Wrong


I am NOT a beautician. I did not go to school to learn to cut hair. I have no desire to become one. And yet, my children through the years seem to like the haircuts they have forced me into giving them....
This past week, my 9 year old son came home from a friends house with the worst self given hair cut I've seen. Like any good mommy, I thought.... I guess I can straighten this out. So I sat the restless child in the kitchen chair and located a scissors, comb and water bottle.
I snipped here and there and was going along pretty good. It was looking a bit more decent! Then it happened. I got a dose of over confidence. It appeared as though I were reenacting a scene from Edward Scissor hands. Hair was falling as fast as I could cut it and soon my sweet little boy looked like a victim of sorts. I turned him to me, looked him in the face and said... "wait right here, I have to get something."
I ran out the door in my Pj's and went over a couple of houses to my sister's house. (thank goodness she lives so close!) I grabbed her clippers set and ran back home. I attached the longest attachment she had in that kit onto the clippers. I turned the thing on and.... Nothing! ugh... grabbed the old one instead of her new one!
Well, I have a clippers too, just not the attachments. So I grabbed mine and put her attachment on. It didn't fit mine quite as well as hers, but that's OK I thought. I can hold it. I went to work with the first swipe. I stopped after the first stroke and tears filled my eyes. It was too short! My oldest son, Matt, looked at it and laughed. Well mom, you may as well finish it.... So I did. After all his hair was cut, he looked down on the ground in front of him and ran into the bathroom.
He came back out not saying a word. I know he was mad... but he didn't say it. I helped him wash all the hair off of himself in the tub and lathered up is stubbly head. I said to him, you know Tyler, if we wash it everyday, it will grow back quick! :) Hopefully my haircutting days are over now. and I can retired the old buzzer.


May God Bless you through the day today!

Lori

6 comments:

Maxine said...

Well, Lori, I don't know what to say. But I will say that at least he IS cute and it WILL indeed grow back.

gardenkeeper said...

Aww, thanks dear Maxine... He is my sweety pie :)

TO BECOME said...

This reminds me of what happened to our second son once. His Dad was giving him a haircut and someone came to the door. He laid the clippers down and our oldest son just a year older than our second. The older being 4 and the younger 3 years old. He took the clippers and took a swipe down the middle of his brothers hair. When my husband came back it was too late. so, he had to give him a burr. We also gave his older brother one because he caused it all. They both loved it.lol.

I am glad to meet you, Lori. I am so glad you have found my blog and I , yours. See you later.

Tell your son, he really looks cute. I think it makes their eyes show up so much better. I love it when my Grandsons get burrs. connie from texas

Theresa's Notes said...

Hello, my dear sweet mother in-law Mrs. Connie, showed me your blog. I wanted to say hello to you and invite you to my blog any time. And I'll visit yours often.

Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Lori, I think Tyler's hair looks great! That's the style these days, anyway. His hair will grow out soon and he'll laugh about it. Maybe if Matthew keeps laughing, you can offer to give him a trim!

I liked Connie's haircut story, too!

I gave my sister Emily a haircut, when I was maybe 3 and she was 2. She had beautiful long hair, and I cut a hunk off and hid it among our toys, as if no one would know. Later, we both got very short haircuts and it was easier to care for. But we laugh about it to this day.
Amy in TN

gardenkeeper said...

Connie, that is a hoot! Thanks for visiting my blog and I hope you will enjoy visiting again!

Amy, Glad you stopped by! :) I remember a time when Lisa and I gave each other hair cuts too.... ahhhhh memories! :)